Hiding around every corner in Resident Evil Village is a secret waiting to be discovered. And while there’s plenty of clandestine loot to find, there are a few optional bosses, like the Varcolac and giant, axe-wielding butcher brothers, to hunt down too.
These tough opponents either appear in their own new spaces, or to punish you for being too comfortable backtracking through areas you thought were safe.
Here’s where you can tango with a few of the optional bosses in Resident Evil Village you might have missed.
Resident Evil Village Varcolac
Stalking the Fallow Plot in front of Luiza’s house after the sun starts to set on your Resident Evil Village adventure, the Varcolac is as fearsome as they come.
Bearing the battle scars of more than a few scrapes, you’ll have to empty out some serious ordinance to take him down once he appears following the Moreau section.
Your best bet is to lure the Varcolac to the stairs at the bottom of the church yard, booby trapping the chokepoint with mines.
The beast doesn’t seem to want to come much further out than these stairs, so you can go to town with your magnum, shotgun, and grenade launcher to take him out.
Resident Evil Village Giant Crystal Axe Brothers
While the Varcolac is a unique foe, you actually get to fight the other main optional boss twice.
Basically, they’re just huge guys – a bit like the main boss, Urias – who relentlessly rush you with powerful swings of their giant axe.
The first one appears in front of Claudia’s grave north of the village when you go to collect the dollhouse treasure.
While the second appears at Otto’s Mill, butchering meat in the barn.
Like with most of the boss fights in the game, the best strategy is to backpedal and lead the bosses over mines, then unload with your grenade launcher and shotgun headshots when they get too close.
- Resident Evil Village Walkthrough Part 1 – Into the village, Luiza’s House, and the castle
- Resident Evil Village Prioress Door
- Resident Evil Village Part 3 – Hall of War, Dungeon, Bela Dimitrescu First Daughter Boss
- Resident Evil Village Hall of Ablution statues
- Resident Evil Village Part 5 – Wine Cellar, Terrace, and Courtyard
- Resident Evil Village Piano puzzle
- Resident Evil Village Part 7 – Library Second Daughter Boss Fight
- Resident Evil Village 5 Bells in the Atelier
- Resident Evil Village Part 9 – Treasure map, Rooftops, and Third Daughter Fight
- Resident Evil Village Lady Dimitrescu Boss Fight
- Resident Evil Village Part 11 – House With the Red Chimney
- Resident Evil Village Beneviento Dollhouse | Beneviento’s Treasure, Door Code, Music Box Puzzle Solutions
- Resident Evil Village Part 13 | Moreau Boss, Sluice Gate puzzle and boat key location
- Resident Evil Village Part 14 | Well Puzzle, Otto’s Mill, Stronghold, and Urias Boss Fight
- Resident Evil Village Part 15 | Heisenberg’s Factory and Boss Fight
- Resident Evil Village Part 16 | Finding Chris Redfield
- Resident Evil Village Part 17 | Mother Miranda Final Boss